Newcastle edged past Southampton to reach its first major final since 1999

Newcastle United is into a first major final in 24 years by edging past Southampton 2-1 at St James Park. Newcastle sealed their spot in the summit clash by overcoming Southampton on an incredible Tuesday night in their Carabao Cup semifinal second leg with a 3-1 victory on aggregate. Eddie Howe’s men survived a late wobble against Southampton to stride toward Wembley. The Carabao Cup will reach its climax at the end of February as English football’s first major final of the season is held.

The competition gives teams the chance to claim the first available silverware of the campaign. Newcastle is having an excellent season and now stands on the brink of clinching its first trophy in 54 years. Newcastle will face either Manchester United or Nottingham Forest in the grand finale on February 26 at Wembley.

The semi-final Leg 2 between United and Nottingham will be played on February 2 (Thursday) at Old Trafford.

Newcastle got off to a superb start as its midfielder Sean Longstaff scored an early opener in the 5th minute of the game. The ball was switched by Longstaff to Kieran Trippier on the right, who danced past Walker-Peters with ease. He entered the box before teeing up Longstaff, who whipped a low shot across Southampton goalkeeper Gavin Bazunu and into the bottom left.

Longstaff scored his first goal at St James Park in almost four years. A few moments later, the 25-year-old English player struck again in the 21st minute and helped his side to get a 2-0 lead. It was such a good team goal. Willock and Joelinton combined on the left flank, tiptoeing down the touchline at speed. Willock cut into the box with ease and found Almiron, who fired a low cross into the path of the in-rushing Longstaff. Presented with a free hit from the penalty spot, Longstaff slammed a shot into the bottom right.

Eight minutes later, Southampton had its first through Che Adams. Willock’s loose pass was intercepted by Adams, who stridden towards the Newcastle box and thrashed a low drive across Nick Pope to find the net. Adam Armstrong had a glorious chance to level the score on the night but was thwarted by Pope.

Newcastle midfielder Bruno Guimaraes was shown a straight red card in the 82nd minute after a VAR review for a harsh tackle on Samuel Edozie. But Newcastle managed to hold on to the lead and secured an important win. Newcastle will be eying to win their first trophy since the 1955 FA Cup.