After helping Atletico Madrid win their first La Liga title in seven years, Uruguayan striker Luis Suarez announced on Monday that he will remain at the club next season. Atletico Madrid defeated Valladolid on the final day of the league to edge their arch-rivals Real Madrid by two points.
After Barcelona and Madrid dominated the Spanish league for seven years, Atletico won its 11th title. At the end of last season, Real Madrid had won the league twice, while Barcelona had won four times since 2014.
In his first full season with Atletico Madrid, Suarez scored 21 league goals after signing as a free agent. In an unexpected turn of events, Barcelona has released Luis Suarez against his wishes, a decision that has been widely criticized by many, including Lionel Messi, who took to the internet to vent his frustration at the Catalan side.
The 24-year-old told Movistar Plus: “I’m sure (I’ll stay).”
The welcome I received at Atletico began the moment I stepped on the field. In order to make history at Atletico, I inquired about being included in the museum walls, Suarez said.
As he stated to Marca, the difficulties he endured, along with being looked down upon, led him to Atletico. A number of people were affected by his situation, including his wife and children. The ones who have suffered most from my time as a football player day after day have been his children.
Suarez added as a team, we were the most consistent and won the championship despite the difficulties. As a team, we had an unusually high efficiency in the first half of the season.
A lot has happened in Suarez’s career over the last year. He now holds his fifth Spanish league title. Barcelona let the Uruguayan forward go ahead of the season, so Atletico snapped him up at a cut-price € 7million deal.